BookTuber Dos And Don'ts
1. Don't be like Ali at Hardbackhoarder with your intro. Now I do like her videos but I don't like that what the fuck opening where it sounds like someone is putting a needle on the record only to knock it off.
Do be like Kitty G since she has a great opening. She sings a song and starts the video. She is one of those rare booktubers that actually reads adult books. It is really hard to find ones that aren't all about young adult. I suck at searching. I know they exist but I have trouble finding them. So if anyone is reading this and has suggestions please comment below.
2. Don't play music during the video. One sure way to make me leave a video is playing that dopey whistling song or that twinkling song. It is a distraction from the video. We're here to hear about books not some stupid background music that can sometimes compete with the person speaking.
Do make sure your music isn't blasting a person out of their chair. I've watched videos where it ends with music that is at a much higher volume. If you're including music in your videos make sure you check the volume before you unleash it on the world. I know I can't be the only one that feels this way. Also I would imagine it is even worse if you're using headphones. I'm annoyed and I'm not using headphones.
3. Don't overuse the voice changes. I decided to check out a person's videos but the second I heard it begin with the chipmunk voice I backed away. It is one thing to use it once in a while. Ali sometimes uses different voices but she doesn't do it all the time so I'm okay with it. I don't want to hear chipmunk singing. If I want that I'll watch Alvin And The Chipmunks.
4. Have you heard of a library? Sometimes it seems like booktubers are clueless about libraries. Maybe you wouldn't have huge unhauls if you were more selective with books you buy and instead relied more on the library. We aren't all lucky enough to be able to buy any book that catches our eye. Also maybe mention the library to help lessen the pressure that people have when it comes to booktube. Library isn't a dirty word. It is a wonderful resource that should be taken advantage of especially since books can be pretty damn expensive. Illustrated Harry Potter books anyone? I wouldn't be surprised if the remaining books get split and doubled in price. They're already outrageously priced. If I did get them I'd get the ebooks since it has that Kindle motion thing which is pretty cool and doesn't come with an insane price tag.
5. Don't unhaul a book before you try reading it. It baffles me when someone says they're getting rid of a book because people have said bad things about it. Hello you're holding the book in your hand. Open it up and see if you agree. You could be throwing away your new favorite book. People aren't going to agree on books 100% of the time. Even if your best friend likes most of the same books you do doesn't mean there aren't going to be times when you love a book that she hates or vice versa.
Now on to the Booktubers that annoy me.
1. polandbananasbooks: I would watch Christine's videos but I just can't because she's too much. I've watched videos where she's bouncing off the walls like she just downed gallons of coffee. Am I watching someone talking about books or someone that's channeling Tigger? Calm down. Sit down. Stop moving around so much. If she toned it down a lot I would watch her videos since I do find her interesting. I just can't get past all the bouncing around. Another thing I'm not crazy about is the singing. Hello you're talking about books so how about talking? Now I'm okay with some singing but this girl goes beyond that at least from what I've seen. Chipmunk singing is a surefire way to make me leave a video.
I haven't watched a ton of her videos simply because I can't. If you want to sing how about doing it in a separate video so people can watch what they want. She does talk about movies and TV shows but I just can't get past all the bouncing around and the singing and it isn't regular singing either it is the chipmunk singing which annoys the fuck out of me especially if it goes on for a long time. So while I'd like to watch her videos I just can't because she's too over the top. Of course that's probably part of the reason she's successful but I just can't do it.
And now time for a slight rant that's not really a rant but kind of is but kind of isn't
I have to wonder if being super annoying would help me out since I've hit a plateau and can't seem to go anywhere. Also I kind of feel left out with the booktubers getting more attention. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching booktube because I totally do. I just wonder why someone would rather read a video than read a post. I'm talking about videos not a part of booktube but other parts of Youtube that literally have videos with words and often words that aren't spelled correctly. That could be because English isn't the person's language that get all these views and here I am posting content regularly with pretty much no response and no idea if anyone is even reading my content. So it gets frustrating. I'm trying to work on that. I've done searches and tried different things so I just have to accept after years of having websites that I just don't have that special something that attracts people.
2. Tashapolis: You might notice a theme here if anyone is actually reading this. I would watch her more if she wasn't always bursting out into song. I will admit that Natasha has a great voice. Do videos of yourself singing but please tone it down when you're talking about books. I was watching a video and she kept singing and singing until I just decided to stop watching the video because she didn't talk about books. Since the girl can sing she should just have separate videos with her singing so the people who want to hear her singing can do so while the people who just want to hear her talk about books and TV shows can do so.
3. abookutopia: This booktuber I think would attract a younger audience. It isn't so much the videos she does but what appears in the background. I get it. We all love books. Some of us have more books than others. Some of us rely heavily on the library or buy used books. Now I doubt that this is the intent but one thing that kind of annoys me is the whole look at me and all the books I own especially now that the girl has 14 bookcases from IKEA. Does she really need to show off all those bookcases? No she doesn't. It just comes off as her bragging about all the books she owns. Also I think it might put people off starting a booktube channel since there's this unspoken feeling that in order to be successful on booktube you need to buy a lot of books and show them off in your videos. Now there are booktubers that don't do this and actually use the library but you can't deny that most are sporting pretty good sized collections of books.
And on to the finale.
Shopping At Book Outlet.
Yes Book Outlet is a magical website where books are hella cheap. This is a blessing and a curse. If you've shopped on there you know what I'm talking about. Before you go to the website have a list of authors or books you want to get. Focus on the books and authors you're familiar with instead of veering off into oh this book is a dollar so I'm going to buy it. Don't distract yourself with books that are cheap. Wouldn't it be better to take advantage of being able to get Brandon Sanderson books on this website for great prices instead of going with random books that very well might end up getting unhauled?